Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1st, 2010

Mom's Stuff:
Like most women I know, I have always found fault with my body, and I have often felt like I just needed to lose that "last" five pounds. When I was pregnant I worked out religiously up until month seven with the goal of not only staying in shape, but also being able to get my pre-pregnancy body back as soon as possible. When I finally gave birth to LP I was in quite a hurry to get back to running and lifting and trying to get myself looking decent again. In many ways, through the whole pregnancy and the first month after I was not a fan of my body. Sure, I was impressed that I had somehow grown a child, and I felt good about the birth, but I still wanted to "get rid of" the signs of pregnancy like the stretch marks, tummy pouch, etc. However, in the last few weeks, I have come around to a different understanding. As I get back to being able to do the things I used to, I am actually loving my post-pregnancy body. I have come to see the strech marks as something to be proud of, like bruises after a particuluary difficult basketball game. I may not be running as far as I used to (2 miles is now my "short run") but I'm doing it pushing a baby in a jogging stroller. I'm also able to walk for miles with a 13 lb child (and growing everyday!) strapped to my chest. Rather than seeing my body as lacking, I see it as stronger than it has ever been. Heck, its not only doing all these things, but it is also providing all the nutrition and calories my child needs! So, now when I see all the ads on my computer about getting my figure "back" I laugh, because I have no desire to go "back" to what I was - this is the best I've ever been.

LP's Stuff:
Well, the days of the putting the baby down for a second have ended. Today LP rolled from his back to his front - and then back again. He was having a blast playing with his toys and enjoying his new-found mobility. He is also getting more and more interested in things - he loves going for a run is and is always looking around. He will cry if you leave the room (and stop entertaining him). The other day I was eating lunch and he was fascinated by the green beans. He's not ready for solid foods yet, but I'm excited to think he will be my greens-lovin' vegan baby!

Pictures:

No comments: