Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21st, 2010

Mom's Stuff:
About two weeks ago I hit a wall. There was really no reason to - LP is a very chill, happy baby who rarely fusses (and always has a reason if only I can figure it out). I have incredibly supportive friends and family who are always ready to help out, or even just spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone while I walk a baby to sleep. But even with all of this, I was done. I dreaded Monday's when G-man went to work, and I began to seriously resent all the people I knew who got out and did things during the day. Its not like I was locked inside, but there was not real reason for me to leave the house. I'm realizing that this is the longest I have ever gone without doing some find of writing, teacher-work, etc. While I am definitely working in the sense that I am raising and feeding a child, I am not "working" in the way I have been used to, and I want to. Its a sickness I guess, but I can't wait to go back to unit and lesson planning and teaching. I'm sure I will read this in October and kick my past self, but the reality is that I miss my job. In my dream world I would stay home with my baby and work at the same time. In the real world I'll let G-man take over in September as I go back to my classroom.

L-P's Stuff:
During a much, much needed visit with Grandma and Grandpa (AZ) LP got to do whatever he wanted, including take naps on Grandma and Grandpa instead of in his crib. He also got to watch Grandpa's really cool garden railroad recently named in LP's honor! He was a wonderful baby on the plane and in a hotel for the night which has helped me feel a lot better about how well he will travel on our next west coast trip. Since the last post he has also made advances in movement. While at Grandma and Grandpa's he practiced sticking his butt in the air, and by the time we came home he was able to propel himself forward bit-by-bit - kind of commando style. With these newfound skills LP is also able to entertain himself for long periods of time in his pac-n-play and on the activity mat now that he can really grab things and play with them. Its great because I can leave him on the mat for long stretches while I do things like work out or make dinner. On the other hand, I have to watch him like a hawk because you never know what he will do next!

Food and Fitness:
Since I did name this blog "Vegan Mama" I thought I should finally talk about what we are eating in our vegan family. LP is, of course, still eating his usual breastmilk fare, but I have been progressively trying to eat healthier as the G-man and I figure out how to cook and eat with a baby. With the weather getting warmer I've been having fruit and whole-wheat toast for breakfast, and I've started having big salads for lunch with lots of tomato, apple, avocado and other yummy veggies on top. Our dinner menu for this week includes White Bean Ratatouille, Yellow Split pea Dal (both from The Vegan Table) and Classic Black Bean Soup and Mexican Lentil Casserole (both from "Easy Beans"). I'm learning how to stratagize dinner-making into chunks so that I can get it done in the afternoon and still have time to hang out with LP. LP has also inspired me to work out more the past few weeks. I have my 20 minute weight routine (which is about as much time as I can count on) and two days a week we take a 2 mile jog. Hopefully we will be increasing distance soon! I am also finding that when I work out I'm able to relax and have more fun with LP - definitely an incentive!

Pictures:


No comments: